There are many hidden poisons all around us, but this is another one to watch out for, it might seem innocent but it’s not and you will find it on the banks of a river…
Scotland in the UK has many Highland rivers, but you really wouldn’t imagine that it holds such dangers!
A Scottish businessman David O’Connor warns other dog owners to take care after his beloved pet, Bell was poisoned.
The puppy sadly died within 30 minutes of eating this killer algae, it was dried up on the banks of the HIghland river, who would have thought it?
The alga is a blue-green alga that killed this poor springer spaniel pup, he was only nine-months-old, it’s usually a threat in lochs and reservoirs.
he hot weather has made the river levels fall quite substantially and the flow of the water to start to be sluggish, it is making the algae accumulate…
The pup, Bell, was playing near the banks of the river Conon near Dingwall, this was when she got poisoned when she was seen licking algae there.
Her owner took her home, Mr. O’Connor, the chairman of Glen Wyvis Distillery, but sadly it was too late to do anything for her, when he took her to the vets, she couldn’t hold out and died there.
Mr. O’Connor said:
“Warning to all dog owners …We lost our pup today after she ate some blue/green algae at the river Conon.”
“The falling river and hot weather has created a danger which sadly we were not aware of …All dog owners please be aware as this is such a tragedy for Bell and our family.”
Mr. O’Connor said: “We walked the dogs regularly along the river with no problem at all. Yesterday my son took them along the River Conon and came home.”
“We could see right away that she was seriously ill. We took her round to the vets within five minutes and then she died …The whole episode from start to finish took about 30 minutes.”
He went on to say:
“Because we have been getting no rain the river has been at a really low level and the algae has been left exposed which is very dangerous if it comes into contact with animals.”
Iain Muir, a vet said:
“We had a young spaniel in the surgery today which less than half an hour earlier had been romping around on a walk with his owners.”
“Now, despite the frantic attempts of vets and nurses to save [her she] lay dead on the clinic table. That’s how dangerous blue-green algae is.”
He went on to say:
“What was unusual in this case is that the dog was poisoned by algae from a river – it’s a problem usually associated with lochs where the water isn’t flowing and there’s a chance for it to build up.”
“However, with rivers drying in the drought, flows are sluggish and the river-banks are getting coated in algae as the river level drops.”
“There are different sorts of blue-green algae – some aren’t that toxic and your dog may have encountered them without any problems.”
“Others, like this one, can kill in minutes, so don’t let past experience make you complacent.”
Please SHARE with everyone you know and spread the word!!